Sample Amount Required
- For each assay, we ask that you try to send in at least 30 ng of total RNA. Please transfer your sample to a 1.5 ml microcentrifuge tube for shipment (0.5 ml or smaller PCR tubes can crack when frozen).
- We prefer that you send total RNA but if you have already done the enrichment/purification for microRNA, that is OK.
- It is very important to use a total RNA preparation procedure that does not remove the low molecular weight RNA fractions.
- We recommend you to use one of the several commercially available RNA extraction kits that are specifically developed for micro RNA studies. Please refer to corresponding manufacturer’s manuals. Use only one type of extraction kit for all the samples of your project. If this is your first time to perform total RNA extraction for a miRNA study or if you do not already have a preference for the extraction kit, we recommend the use of miRNeasy Mini Kit from Qiagen. Please make sure to choose “miRNeasy” and NOT “RNeasy”.
- Many laboratories have obtained excellent results from total RNA samples extracted using Trizol methods. However, skills, experiences and sometime sample types may become critical factors in obtaining consistently good sample qualities. According to our statistics, the method has an overall higher failure rate than column-based commercial methods, although the rate varies among different laboratories. If you must use a Trizol method, we recommend modifying precipitation step by doubling the usual isopropanol volume and leaving the RNA at -80°C for
- -20 minutes so as to ensure the precipitation of small nucleic acids. Some laboratories perform the precipitation step twice and/or perform a post-precipitation wash twice in order to clean up the sample. You will need to perform some tests in order to find a proper protocol for your sample.
- There is no need to perform a small RNA enrichment step. We can accept fractionated microRNA but in this case, certain controls can not be included in your experiment.
- Please transfer your sample to a 1.5ml microcentrifuge tube for shipment (smaller tubes can crack when frozen).
- Note – We now offer an RNA extraction service for our US customers who would prefer to just send us cells or tissue samples.
Quality Control of RNA Sample
- A quality control check of your total RNA sample is included in our comprehensive service.
- If desired, you can check the RNA quality with a Bioanalyzer, or a 1-1.5% agarose gel. High quality RNA will show a 28S rRNA band at 4.5kb that should be twice the intensity of the 18S rRNA band at 1.9kb. Excessive smearing indicates degraded RNA.
- Additionally, you can check the UV spectrum of your sample with a spectrophotometer. The 260nm/230nm ratio should be greater than 1.0 and the 260nm/280nm ratio should be above 1.8.
- Note – We will notify you if samples fail our quality control analysis before proceeding with your microarray experiment. There will be a small processing charge for samples that fail quality control.
Placing Your Order
Determine Assay Content and Select Services
- See the list of available assays and select the miR(s) you are interested in.
- Select any additional services (such as rush service or in-depth data analysis).
Complete a Sample Submission Form
- Complete a sample submission form prior to sending your sample to us.
- The form can be emailed to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org beforehand or sent in the package along with your sample. Note – If you send the form in the package with samples please place it in a separate waterproof bag.
Packaging and Shipping
- Please transfer your sample to a 1.5ml microcentrifuge tube for shipment (0.5 ml or smaller PCR tubes can crack when frozen). Be sure the tube labels match those listed on your sample submission form.
- If you want to seal the tubes or hold them in a rack, please don’t use tape (it will crack when frozen), use parafilm.
- Pack the sample with dry ice in a thermal insulated shipping box.
- Ship the package by overnight carrier for delivery the next day.
- Note – Do not ship samples on Friday as they will sit over the week-end and deteriorate. Wait until the following Monday and ship for Tuesday delivery.
Mail the package to:
Attn: Sample Receiving
2575 West Bellfort St., Suite 270
Houston, TX 77054
- International Customers – please download a copy of our international shipping instructions.